Sunday, August 25, 2013

Peach Flambe

I ended up not making the crisped peaches I mentioned in the Quick Takes for my nameday, because we went to watch the boys' school up the street beat the stuffings out of Paul's alma mater instead of having supper at home.  The football game was fun, but oof, it was rough.  We stayed until the bitter end, so I didn't have time to do much in the way of a fancy dessert after we got the girls to sleep.

Luckily, a Manager's Special angel food cake had jumped into my buggy at Kroger that afternoon.  I topped slices with peaches flambeed in bourbon, and it was GOOD.

Tasted WAY better than this picture looks.  Not winning any food photog awards over here.
I wish I could show you pictures of the process, because it's so pretty while it burns, but I couldn't manage one where you could actually see the flames.  Here's what I did:

 Peach Flambe
(made enough for two generous servings over cake, with a little left over)
-1-2 tablespoons butter
-3 small peaches, thinly sliced
-3-4 tablespoons brown sugar
-1/3 cup bourbon*
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add peach slices and brown sugar and cook until the peaches begin to soften (just a minute or two).  Pour bourbon over and light.  Stir gently until the flames die down and the sauce thickens. 
*Rum is traditional, but peaches and bourbon are BFFs.  And also ::points at blog title:: Use whatever liquor strikes your fancy.

It was absolute perfection over both angel food cake and vanilla ice cream.

Ever (intentionally or not) set anything on fire in your kitchen?  What's your favorite way to celebrate a nameday? 

3 comments:

  1. Oddly, I've got about an 80% success rate celebrating random feast days, but I always seem to miss the family's feasts. I usually just make a geographically related meal (eg. a Polish dish for St Maximillian Kolbe). A fun dessert would be a great idea if Caleb freaking ate sweets... Although now that you've shared this recipe he may be whistling a sweeter tune. Fruit and bourbon- dude's goin down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This summary of the CBHS-MBA game is misleading. That game was a fairly matched defensive battle until the fourth quarter and featured a garbage-time MBA touchdown. Even with the garbage-time touchdown MBA only won by 14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CBHS scored four points for MBA. That's the very definition of an ugly game. Perhaps, though, it would be more accurate to say that they beat the stuffings out of themselves.

    ReplyDelete